Some nights I sit down at my sewing machine for hours on end. Once the evening gets late,
I have to pull myself hubs has to pull me away from it so I can get up bright and early for my real job. Some days I think, “If I could only sew full time as my job!”
But, I’ll admit, sometimes I get bored with my sewing projects. I don’t particularly like making the same thing over and over again, and if it’s a large project, like a quilt, I will get tired of piecing lots and lots and lots of little pieces together. And I don’t particularly enjoy the photographing and listing part of Etsy. Some nights I’d rather go geocaching with hubs, work on a house project (if I’m feeling particularly industrious), or (most often) just binge watch Netflix. At these times, I’m thankful to have a job that I get to leave and not have to worry about again until the next morning. I like to sew, but it’s nice not having to sew. Somehow that takes the fun out of it.
All that to say, there are a couple sewing projects in the works, but I’m enjoying doing other things for now:
- Last night I baked my first pumpkin from our CSA and made pumpkin puree, which will shortly be made into pumpkin bread. A third of the puree ended up all over my kitchen floor when I was trying to bag it, but thankfully my dog has a gift for cleaning.
- I’ve gotten some good use out of my Netflix discs. As fast as I can get them, I’ve watched The Lone Ranger, The Great Gatsby, and The Book Thief (two literary adaptations – I’m not a bookworm in the slightest…), with The Secret Life of Walter Mitty on the way. And of course I’ve got my movie snacks. All great movies, by the way: The Lone Ranger greatly exceeded my mediocre expectations, The Great Gatsby was incredibly well done, and The Book Thief was beautiful if you’ve read the book (if not, it could seem disjointed).
- I’ve started running again (to make up for all the pizza, ice cream and soda :-D). I’ve dabbled at running in the past but never kept it up; the last time I ran was a 5K in May. So I’m starting over again with the Couch to 5K (C25K) app. I’ve finished the program once before and could run 30 minutes straight without feeling like I was going to die. Great app for beginners and/or out of shape folk like me.
- I started reading again. One of my loves as far back as I can remember, though it’s been a while since I delved into a good book. But I started I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak, same author of The Book Thief. It’s…interesting so far.
- Spending time with friends – always worth putting sewing on hold. Gracious friends have fed me and kept me company while hubs is out of town. And I’m looking forward to spending this weekend catching up with my old college roommate, who recently moved just over the bridge in Maryland.
I do have a couple sewing projects in the works – some fall and Christmas (already?!) items that I’m really excited about. I’ll get around to finishing them at some point.
What have you been up to lately? If you could make your favorite hobby your job, would you still like it?